Posted June 12, 2014 by Esslinger Staff
Remember that gold is lasting and durable but can get scratched or dented if treated roughly. To ensure that your gold jewelry will last for years, keep these simple tips in mind.
- Gold’s worst enemy is chlorine. Keep your jewelry away from chlorinated cleaning products, swimming pools, and Jacuzzis because repeated exposure will weaken the gold’s structure and eventually lead to breakage.
- Store your gold safely by keeping it wrapped in a soft cloth when it isn’t being worn.
- Keep your jewelry clean. You can clean gold jewelry yourself with a cleaning solution of sudsy lukewarm water, or you can bring it to your local jeweler to have it steam-cleaned.
- Always dry and polish your jewelry with a chamois or soft cloth after cleaning and rinsing it.
- Avoid letting dust, moisture, perspiration or makeup collect on your gold jewelry. If this starts to happen, be sure to clean your jewelry as soon as possible.
- Be sure to regularly inspect your gold jewelry for weakness or damage. Always bring it to a professional jeweler for immediate repair if you find a problem: your jeweler will be able to restore or fix it for you.