Posted June 11, 2014 by Esslinger Staff
Remember that cultured pearls are precious jewels and should always be treated as such:
- Do treat your pearls gently; keep them in a chamois bag or wrap them in tissue when you put them away.
- Do wash them with mild soap and water when you take them off. This will remove any traces of hair spray or perfume.
- Do wear them regularly. The natural oils of your body will heighten their luster.
- Do have your pearls strung with a knot between each pearl to prevent abrasion and loss should the thread break.
- Do have your pearls restrung on a yearly basis as cosmetics and ordinary wear will damage or stretch the tread that the pearls are strung on.
- Don’t toss them in a purse or jewelry box where they can easily be scratched by metal or stones.
- Don’t expose pearls to acid-based hair sprays, cosmetics or perfumes, or clean them with chemicals or abrasives.
- Don’t expose them to excessive light or heat. Put on after you blow dry your hair, and don’t wear them in bright sunlight for long periods of time.
- Don’t expose them to excessive water. Take off before swimming, showering, or washing your hands.
- Don’t expose pearls to vinegar as the acids will dissolve pearls.