Posted September 30, 2016 by Mark Esslinger
The Director of Product Development is responsible for partnering with design, merchandising, production and sourcing to ensure that all products are executed according to design expectations. This includes delivering a product that meets the specs and quality standards of each brand in our current portfolio (Laundry by Shelli Segal,The Sak, Sakroots). Lead daily correspondence with multiple factories, tracking product development from inception to pre-production approval, negotiating costs to meet GM targets and maintaining accurate records. Continually correspond with our overseas QC partner to ensure quality and accuracy of production orders.
Reports to the head of the Designer Jewelry Division.
Specific Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day to day activities of product development which includes collaborating with Design,
- Merchandising, QA and overseas manufacturers to ensure that each final product meets the design specs and brand standards.
- Review all technical designs submitted by designers and make suggested revisions if needed. Work with designers and overseas manufacturers to engineer product correctly to meet margin goals.
- Negotiate first costs & MOQ’s with factories to meet targets.
- Ensure all factories utilized for production meet safety and quality testing standards, and required compliance standards, while achieving requested design aesthetic. Vet new factories as required.
- Develop & monitor annual PD design turnover calendar to ensure all samples are received in time for each of 4 annual market weeks.
- Review first piece submittals with designers upon receipt from vendors to ensure conformance to pre-set standards.
- Travel overseas as needed.
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- 5-10 years experience in product development, sourcing and purchasing with a jewelry/watch/accessory
- wholesaler or retailer strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working with multiple global factories.
- Strong Computer skills- excel a must.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to remain flexible while working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to get the job done and meet deadlines.
- Detail oriented, and managing continually changing priorities.
- Ability to work within a team environment with multiple disciplines.
- Knowledge of jewelry manufacturing processes preferred.
WHO WE ARE?
The Designer Jewelry Division of Almar Sales Company is part of the 3rd generation wholly owned family business, bringing together todays Best Brands with Best Talent. Our All-Star team brings passion and innovation to their work, supported by a culture that thrives on an entrepreneurial spirit. We strive for excellence and results while having fun each and every day.
An equal opportunity employer, Almar Sales does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. Almar Sales only hires individuals authorized for employment in the United States.
Offices and Showrooms:
320 5TH Avenue, 3rd Fl. New York, NY 10001 * Tel: 212-594-6920 * Fax: 212-564-1097
390 5th Avenue, 4th floor, New York, NY 10016 *Designer Jewelry Showroom
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor’s
product development: 5 years