Teach Graduate Jeweler (GJ) and Jewelry Manufacturing Arts (JMA) lab class course content creating a positive, constructive, and productive learning environment in which to deliver the On-Campus JMA GJ Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct students in the On-Campus Graduate Jeweler Program, as needed, utilizing a variety of jewelry manufacturing and repair equipment including, but not limited to, torches, files, saws, rolling mills, polishing equipment, machine and hand tools and audio-visual aids, and other materials to supplement presentations.
- Impart appropriate and relevant course material consistent with GIA’s reputation, standards, and integrity.
- Address student concerns, complaints, or issues promptly, and effectively interfaces with Dean of Students,
- Manager, Education (Carlsbad) and/or other appropriate Education staff as needed for further action.
- Coach students regarding academic performance and methods for improvement.
- Maintain and foster sensitivity and respect for a culturally diverse classroom environment.
- Proctor tests; and receives, corrects, and processes student assignments.
- Submit final student grades to JMA management or Student Services according to required schedule.
- May travel occasionally to national and/or international locations for instructional, development or Institute representation purposes.
- Other duties as assigned
Technical Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- In-depth knowledge of jewelry manufacturing and repair techniques and equipment, and understanding of the jewelry industry.
- Proficient computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and e-mail.
- Ability to demonstrate a command of theory and contemporary knowledge, and continuing study in field.
- Ability to effectively present course material and provide answers and feedback to students.
- Ability to effectively interface with staff and students.
- Ability to communicate effectively, get along with coworkers and management, and deals with others effectively and professionally under pressure. Strong communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); Jewelry Manufacturing Arts (JMA), Graduate Jeweler (GJ) or Graduate Jeweler Gemologist (GJG) diploma preferred. Minimum of three years related practical jewelry industry experience is required.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A. or B. S.) from four-year college or university and five years related practical jewelry industry experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment (if applicable):
Work is performed in a designated professional manufacturing classroom workstation and environment.
Extensive use of office equipment to include computer, calculator, copier, fax, and other business related machines and software.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees. Distribution of this item outside of the Company without an authorized release is a violation of Company policy. GIA offers a competitive benefits package and is an equal opportunity employer. For additional information about GIA we welcome you to visit our website at www.gia.edu
- Industry : Luxury Goods & Jewelry
- Employment type : Full-time
- Experience : Not Applicable
- Job function : Education
ABOUT GEMOLOGICAL INSTITUTE OF AMERICA (GIA)
Established in 1931, GIA is the world’s foremost authority on diamonds, colored stones, and pearls. GIA exists to protect all purchasers of gemstones, by providing the education, laboratory services, research, and instruments needed to accurately and objectively determine gemstone quality. As creator of the 4Cs and the GIA International Diamond Grading System™, the Institute sets and maintains the standard for grading and identification practices used worldwide. Its global headquarters are based in Carlsbad, California.
GIA offers a competitive benefits package and is an equal opportunity employer.