The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods. Through our work, we are committed to contributing to a sustainable future, both for fashion and for our employees. Authenticity is a core component of our business; we value it in our products and we celebrate it across our teams by encouraging every TRR employee to bring their REAL authentic selves to work each day. We’re hiring, and we’d love for you to join our dynamic team!
The Inbound Watchmaker will report to the Fine Jewelry and Watch Production Manager. Key areas of responsibility include the authentication, diagnostics, and repair of timepieces as well as overseeing the tools, processes, and equipment, utilized by the company’s watchmakers. This position will authenticate and service watches within our e-commerce centers and communication across multiple internal teams to execute a seamless consignor experience and a frictionless production pipeline.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Inspect inbound consignments and returns to ensure TRR acceptance and condition standards are met
- Identify modern and vintage timepieces (brand, model, movement brand, movement model)
- Determine brand authenticity and condition (external and functional performance) of each watch
- Fully test all watches to determine level of timing and functional performance, including water resistance
- In-line with brand and TRR standards and guidelines, accurately diagnose and perform quality service repair of basic to moderate complexity on customer owned merchandise, without damage and improving overall condition, function and timing accuracy of quartz and automatic (mechanical) watches, including but not limited to:
- Battery replacement
- Gasket Replacements
- Movement adjustments
- Partial Service: hands/crown/stem, movement ring, standard automatic date movement
- Calibrate chronograph and other complication indicators to original factory settings
- External case and bracelet cleaning
- Strap replacement, bracelet and clasp adjustments
- Enter and maintain product data: authenticity determination, performance and service, in an accurate and organized manner
- Assist other Watchmakers to authenticate and resolve complex repairs
- Maintain a clean and efficient space in personal and common work areas
- Identify and requisition parts for repairs
- Communicate status updates and areas of concern to management
- Participate in training, audits and meetings, as required
- Comply with all policies and procedures, as well as departmental standards and methodology, including but not limited to, Internal Audit, Human Resources and Occupational Safety
What You Bring To The Role
- 3-5 years experience repairing timepieces
- Advanced technical expertise, including brand, model, movement and material identification
- CT21, SODA and/or WOSTEP diploma preferred
- Brand certification from major watch brand preferred
- Familiar with most watch brands; experience with major European luxury brands, preferred
- Familiar with both Swiss and Japanese movements
- Demonstrated experience in repairing and servicing watches, with skills including but not limited to: quartz/mechanical movements, chronographs, perpetual calendars and lathe work
- Proficient with case disassembly/reassembly of quartz, automatic and chronograph watches
- Ability to perform water resistances test, both dry and wet methods
- Ability to repair and refinish cases and bracelets, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to self start, work independently, maximize productivity and workflow with exceptional attention to detail, and anticipate organizational needs, including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines as required
- Ability to handle multiple complex, time sensitive situations
- Ability to work within specific process constraints
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Open to additional training and education
- Excellent hand-eye coordination
- Perfect vision (natural or corrected)
- Basic computer and system aptitude
The expected salary range for this role is $59,608.80 – $85,170.00. To determine starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. Additionally, salary is just one component of TRR’s total rewards package. Depending on role, employees may also be eligible for a bonus program, incentive pay and benefits.
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 30 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women’s and men’s fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our twelve shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records. At TRR, People Come First. That’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our Diversity Equity and Inclusion program here.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.