The Director, Merchandising will bring an entrepreneurial spirit to develop and drive a new, high revenue growth business. The Director will leverage experience and established relationships in the Women’s industry to aggressively expand the business, initiate vendor relationships, negotiate contracts, develop sales, and actively monitor industry trends. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day management and the direction of their merchandising departments. Using his/her experience in assortment planning, pricing, promotion, and inventory management, the Director will be responsible for sales, margin, and inventory goals.
Role Responsibilities include:
- Aggressively expand high-revenue, rapidly growing business by driving and implementing strategic initiatives to reach company’s financial goals
- Develop financial plan (profitability targets, markup and receipt flow) and manage to sales targets
- Manage and develop team of buyers representing multiple categories, fostering a high-energy, collaborative environment that promotes professional development of individual buyers and their respective categories
- Partner with planning department to forecast & to meet sales, margin, and inventory goals
- Strengthen buying team’s vendor relationships and foster understanding of market trends; identify competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, and strategies
- Troubleshoot and resolve conflicts and issues with vendors
- Collaborate with departments across the organization including: Finance, Marketing, Operations, CS and
- Technology; facilitate and promote timely cross-department communication
Personal Characteristics :
The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader, leading by example and encouraging buyers to take risks while driving accountability. He/she will be a thoughtful, high-energy self-starter with strong business & merchandising acumen, acute analytical skills, and the demonstrated ability to use creative thinking and innovation to solve complex problems. This individual will thrive in a fast-paced, data-driven environment, and will have a track record of successful negotiation and vendor relationship management.
- 8+ years experience in retail and/or e-commerce environment; experience in luxury branded goods a plus
- Strong understanding of merchandising financials and the ability to manage profitability
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and drive business performance
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a buying organization through process of merchandise planning and acquisition; knowledge of Open-to-Buy process
- Comprehensive understanding of buying process from product acquisition to customer sale with the ability to understand and influence merchandising process
- Experience managing a team of buyers representing multiple categories
- Proven negotiation skills and experience with vendor management
- Fashion-forward sensibility and ability to identify and capitalize on current trends
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Women’s market and established relationships with vendors
- Ability to identify key items in product inventory and execute a successful promotion strategy for these items
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Technical aptitude with web-based tools and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Industry : Internet
Employment type : Full-time
Experience : Director
Job function : Sales
Join us in creating a life more beautiful.
Hudson’s Bay Company is one of the fastest-growing department store retailers in the world. In North America, HBC’s leading banners include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gilt, Saks OFF 5TH, Find @ Lord & Taylor, and Home Outfitters. In Europe, HBC’s banners include GALERIA Kaufhof (the largest department store group in Germany), Galeria INNO (Belgium’s only department store group), and Sportarena. At HBC we are a company of adventurers who explore uncharted territory, challenge convention, and work with imagination and fun.
Gilt.com is an innovative online shopping destination offering its members special access to the most inspiring merchandise and experiences every day at insider prices. Gilt continually searches the world for the most coveted brands and products, including fashion for women, men, and children; home decor; and unique activities in select cities and destinations. We believe that every day is an opportunity to inspire and be inspired.