Job Opening For Engineering Project Manager; Apple Watch, Product Design (Santa Clara Valley, California, US)
Posted September 1, 2016 by Mark Esslinger
The Watch PD (Product Design) EPM is responsible for the technical management and support of engineering development projects within the Watch division. The successful candidate will be following up on day to day activities with the engineering team having the top level project goals in sight at all times. As an Engineering Project Manager within the Product Design organization you will be responsible for managing the development and implementation process for one of our Watch Product Design teams. In this role you will drive the day-to-day activities to meet the overall program objectives focusing on mechanical engineering design, development planning and validation cycles.
An EPM must be able to prioritize issues and track the details as well as be in touch with the big picture issues. EPMs must be fearless organizers who are ready to work with the highly skilled hardware, software, mechanical design and industrial design teams to identify and resolve potential risks to the schedule and risks to the quality of the product. EPMs need to have a strong understanding of development and manufacturing processes – from part design to module and system level validation to production line test and bring-up.
We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. Cross-functional communication skills and experience are essential. The EPM will interact with all engineering design disciplines plus safety, reliability, marketing, packaging, manufacturing, component engineering, and other resources inside and outside Apple.
Key Qualifications :
- BS ME/CE degree required, MS desired
- 2-4+ years of industry experience
- 2-4+ years of project management experience
- Excellent communication skills verbally and written
- Experience with portable consumer electronics devices
- Experienced in setting up project schedules and work breakdown structures
- Ability to travel internationally to support builds
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audience
- Self motivated and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles; remains flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity
- Detailed knowledge of product development processes as well as a strong understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Experience interfacing with Operations, Mechanical Engineering/Design and Marketing
- Maintaining communication within the development team
- Maintaining project schedules
- Driving cross-functional organization, communication, and validation
- Creating meetings and documenting action items and progress
- Collaborating and facilitating communication across engineering managers, operations manager, marketing managers and our OEM partners to meet very aggressive cost, schedule, and quality goals.
- Understanding technical issues and driving them to closure by bringing together key stakeholders for decision-making
- Reporting and presenting to senior management on project status and schedules
Some international travel is required, approximately 20%.
BS ME/EE/CE degree or equivalent
Industry : Consumer Electronics
Employment type : Full-time
Experience : Not Applicable
Job function : Engineering
Consumer Electronics · 10001+ employees · Founded 1976 · Public Company
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, the Mac and Apple Watch. Apple’s three software platforms — iOS, OS X and watchOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple’s 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.