About the job
Catbird is hiring full time production bench jewelers. Catbird’s Bench Jewelers are primarily responsible for producing the Catbird jewelry line at a level consistent with Catbird’s time and quality standards. Bench Jewelers are familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within jewelry manufacturing and have the ability to use various levels of jewelry production techniques with semi precious and precious materials.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Strong bench jeweler skills – soldering, polishing, assembly
- Trains on Catbird products and follows the steps taught by trainer to create/repair jewelry daily
- Maintains Catbird’s high quality standards and meets due dates
- Maintains consistency despite fast paced environment and repetitiveness of work
- Consistently follows safety procedures
- Demonstrates dexterity, excellent eye-hand coordination, pays attention to detail
- Laser welder or arc welder, stamping and engraving experience are all a plus
- Must have excellent communication skills since you will be working as part of a team
- We are a growing company that produces a large amount of jewelry, you must be willing to embrace repetition as a challenge or mantra
- 1+ years of experience on the bench
- Position is five days a week (Mon-Fri) in our jewelry studio in the Brooklyn Navy Yard
Perks & Benefits
- Healthcare eligibility following 30 days of hire with 75% of the medical premium covered by Catbird. And 25% of the premium covered for children. We also offer dental and vision.
- 15 vacation days and 7 sick days, plus an extra day off during the month of your birthday
- 401(k) with profit sharing and safe harbor contribution eligibility after one year of employment. We invest through a portfolio focused on socially responsible funds.
- Professional Development Stipend: an allotment of $200/year, plus other workshops and talks throughout the year
- Paid time off (or double time for stores) on major holidays
- Open studio hours for studio employees: once a week studio managers stay late so jewelers can work on personal pieces with Catbird tools and machinery, and train with each other on new techniques
- Parental Leave: we offer 20 weeks of parental leave. 12 weeks are 100% paid.
- The Catbird Giving Fund: We vote as a company on what organizations to support. At least 1% of all sales, year round, are donated to nonprofits aligned with our core beliefs of equality and helping others.
- A generous employee discount
- Pre-taxed MetroCards to save money on getting to work!
- Discounted Citi Bike Annual Membership
- Regular company-wide parties, brunches & happy hours
- A warm, casual work environment where people can really be themselves
Please submit a portfolio or photos of your work along with a resume. Our compensation ranges from $23/hr-$32/hr, based on skill level and experience. We conduct a bench test as part of the interview process to assess your level.