Since 1866, Hamilton & Inches has been Scotland’s premier destination for fine jewellery, luxury watches and hand-crafted silver. Based in the heart of the Scottish capital, we have maintained our jewellery & silver workshops since our inception and have a held a Royal Warrant as silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen for more than 120 years. To this day, we proudly continue to curate a range of fine jewellery designed and made from our own artisan team and workshops.
There has been significant investment in the business over recent years and to support with the next phase of growth, Hamilton & Inches are looking for an experienced Goldsmith to join our team.
As a Goldsmith here at Hamilton & Inches, you will be based in our Jewellers workshop. Following an extensive renovation in 2020/21, our Jewellers workshop combines long established manufacturing methods with a modern space to encourage creativity and collaboration. You will work closely with our Workshop Manager and our team of Goldsmiths, Engravers, and Silversmiths in an environment where individuality and talent is celebrated. We are looking for an individual who can assess, alter, and repair all types of fine jewellery including setting gemstones as required and create bespoke pieces on request. The ideal candidate would use their experience and knowledge to work within their own team but also to liaise with customers on alterations, and creation of new pieces. Would be advantageous to be proficient in claw, rubover, pavé, gypsy and bezel setting.
• Creation of bespoke pieces (with external design input) from fine materials
• Ensure customer repairs are carried out to the highest quality standards
• Support the production of special commissions for clients
• Displays a positive and clear manner with customers and provides concise advice regarding repairs, alterations, and bespoke pieces
• Manage workload efficiently and effectively to meet agreed timescales
• Quality control work to ensure pieces meet design specifications and internal quality standards
• Work across and support the Workshop Manager, Sales, and Aftersales Team
• Take responsibility for a safe working environment in the workshop ensuring all Health and Safety policies and procedures are adhered to
• Maintain client confidentiality at all times
• Represent the brand image of Hamilton & Inches ensuring positive impact on all suppliers and customers
• Over 5 years bench experience (essential)
• Strong eye for detail and strives for high standards across all areas of their work
• Able to assess and repair a wide variety of items in gold, silver, and platinum
• Experience in setting diamonds and coloured gemstones into fine pieces (advantageous)
• Experience creating bespoke and in repairing fine pieces, including high value pieces
• Works well within agreed timescales
• Knowledge of fine metals and gemstones in relation to the creation of and repair of a variety of pieces
• A flexible and collaborative approach
• Experience with laser welding machinery and micro setting advantageous
• Experience in estimating materials & labour for jobs advantageous.