Apprentice Retail Jeweller
Franklyn’s (Jewellers & Goldsmiths) Limited
This apprenticeship is an apprentice retail jeweller, the candidate will be learning aspects from retail side of things and also in the workshop as a jeweller.
- Clean and polish of jewellery, including smoothing joints with a hand file and emery paper.
- Polishing jewellery using pendant drills and a double spindle polishing machine.
- Cleaning items with sonic and steam machines and electroplating when necessary.
- Soldering using an oxy-propane torch, to assemble pieces, size rings and repair chains.
- Piercing and saw work, to make cuts and shape pieces of metal.
- Pressing/stamping to create patterns, makers mark, numbers and letters into surfaces.
- Drilling and forming metal using tools and dies.
- Repair/reshape/restyle jewellery by replacing broken parts using hand tools or machinery.
- To prepare quotes/estimates for customers following price guides, estimating sizes, quantities, materials and resources.
- Reshape/repair/renovate tools as necessary.
- Identification of metals to determine carat.
- Identification of gemstones.Keeping workshop and benches clean and tidy.
- Working in a safe manner to prevent accidents/injuries.
Provide a basic watch repair service inc, battery replacement, strap replacement and alteration and repairing/removing damaged links.
- Arrange attractive displays in windows and cabinets.Advise customers on products and help them choose the most suitable.
- Build relationships with customers to gain repeat business.Take payment for goods and issue receipts (using EPOS) and guarantees.
- Participate in general housekeeping.
- Offer advice and assistance to customers via phone, email and face to face.Assist with admin tasks such as dealing with post/deliveries.
- Assist colleagues with stock replenishment inc pricing and displaying stock to company standards.Maintain a high level of security.
Requirements and prospects
The successful candidate must have:
- Ability to match or detect differences between colours inc shades of colour and brightness.
- A keen interest in working in the retail sector and have an interest in making, producing and design processes.
- Have technical and creative skills.
- Excellent Co-ordination and Manual dexterity.
The successful candidate must be:
- Smart personal presentation.
- Friendly and helpful manner.Honest, trustworthy and respectful.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Willingness to learn.
GCSE’s or equivalent grade A-C or the ability to work up to these.
Holly Webster: 01422418441