Laings is a prestigious family-run jewellers with a legacy spanning over 180 years. Established in 1840 and now safely in the hands of the sixth generation of the Laing family, Laings is one of the largest independent jewellery businesses in the UK.
With six showrooms across Glasgow, Edinburgh, Southampton, and Cardiff, Laings offers an expertly curated selection of fine jewellery and luxury watches from some of the world’s most prestigious brands. We also proudly present jewellery design and services by our artisan team of watchmakers, goldsmiths, and jewellery designers from our state-of-the-art workshops.
Despite an everchanging landscape, Laings continues to invest in its future. Over the coming years, the company will embark on a journey of evolution, expanding on our Service offerings and accredited luxury Brand timepieces repair and service expertise – while never forgetting the deep-rooted heritage that anchors the Laings story.
A Career as Unique as You Are
With our continuing expansion, a fantastic opening for an enthusiastic Junior Goldsmith to join our well-established jewellery workshop based in the heart of Edinburgh, has become available. Reporting to our Goldsmith your role will be to uphold Laings standards and quality, whilst consistently keeping our clients in mind. With your willingness to learn, you will be valued for your desire to pursue goldsmithing to a high standard.
Our position will be offered as a full-time permanent opportunity, assisting 37.5 hours per week Monday-Friday.
Here is how we see your role:
· Undertake cleaning and assembling castings to high standard using a variety of methods to achieve the best result.
· Carry out service work on jewellery pieces in the workshop, including; ring sizing, cleaning, checking and polishing, chain repairs and general jewellery service work.
· Uphold Laings quality of work standards.
· Diagnose and inspect incoming work, learning to create estimates for both time and material.
· Clean and polish metal items and pieces of jewellery.
· Work to Service order deadlines.
The perfect person we are looking for:
· Hold a history of working with precious metals including platinum, gold, and palladium.
· Confident and skilled in handling jewellery service work.
· Proven bench experience (specifically in fine jewellery).
· Have an exceptional eye for detail.
· Proactive, dedicated and a flexible team contributor.
We are focused on creating an inclusive culture that nurtures individuality, personal and professional growth, contributing to driving our proud legacy of Laings. Our principles of culture are based on mutual respect, honesty, and trust, to foster an environment ensuring that our passionate employees feel inspired every day.
From unrivalled industry training to discounts on some of the UK leading retailers, Laings has built our approach to benefits around our employees to ensure their happiness, health, and wellbeing. Our benefits are also flexible, meaning that employees can choose benefits to match their individual needs through our bespoke benefits platform.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer who encourages candidates from a wide range of backgrounds.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £24,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Free or subsidized travel
- Gym membership
- Health & wellbeing programme
- Life insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Referral programme
- Sick pay
- Store discount
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person