Melanie Casey is seeking a detail-oriented bench jeweler with five or more years of professional experience in jewelry making/metalsmithing! This full-time position is based in our beautiful Anover, MA studio. You will be responsible for advanced stone settings, supporting our quality control process, ring resizing, post and necklace assembly, and bringing raw castings to a final polish. This position will be Monday thru Friday, 40 hours per week with occasional overtime. This position is ideal for someone who wants to be in production jewelry as a long-term career, and will be able to take advantage of the combined years of business and jewelry-making experience at Melanie Casey. We are looking for patience, enthusiasm, and the willingness to go the extra mile to learn a new skill.
Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Must be able to execute all products in our line. Our full product line can be found at www.melaniecasey.com.
- Must have a fine eye for detail in terms of jewelry inspection and repair.
- Must have the ability to bring a raw casting through to the final perfect product, ready to deliver to our clients. This process includes cast cleaning, sizing, stone setting, polishing, and quality checks.
- The Senior Master Bench Jeweler, like all onsite jewelers, actively participates in the quality check process. This role has an additional level of responsibility working closely with other team members to document and provide specific feedback on finished jewelry, making corrections to pieces that did not meet the established standards, and completing our most challenging repairs.
- Ring sizing: exact “spot-on” sizing up and down of our delicate 1.2mm ring bands
- Polishing: carefully executing a bright mirror finish without reducing the metal or prong material on our delicate pieces
- Earring post assembly that is centered and straight
- Stone setting: prong-set round and fancy cuts, and a lot of small melee prong settings. All stones must be tight, straight, and without any shifting whatsoever. Please note that many of our designs feature two prong settings which are particularly unforgiving to set.
- Ability to be extremely critical of your work and able to perform self-quality checks.
- Excellent written communication skills are required for this role. You must be able to communicate with our in-house team regarding quality, questions, and anything that needs further attention on every work order. This would include training materials in both written and video format.
- Understanding and Development of the process of benchwork and the ability to improve and expand on the process for business needs.
- Use our Specifications sheets to achieve optimal results.
- A willingness to learn the Melanie Casey way of doing things so that we can achieve consistent results across all of our jewelers.
- This role will not be required to cast, hand-fabricated from sheet, or design.
- The candidate should be an exacting quality-focused jeweler who has mastered working in gold, platinum, and advanced stone settings. This person should be capable of learning how to produce our entire product line with minimal instruction.
- Must have at least 5 years professional experience working in ﬁne jewelry.
- Degree or completed certiﬁcate in metalsmithing is required.
- Self-driven and organized.
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Must have a long-term commitment to this position.
- Background checks and reference calls will be completed prior to acceptance for this position.
- We do require candidates to pass a bench test to demonstrate proficiency in the listed required skills. To secure the position, candidates must ace all three rounds of bench testing and demonstrate excellent communication skills throughout the hiring process. This will be conducted through the mail.
Please send cover letter, resumé and any other requested materials with the job title in the subject line to: email@example.com